Flooding is the most common natural disaster so firstly you need to ensure that your property insurance policy covers Flood risks. If your property is located in a flood risk area it is highly likely that your current policy will exclude flood and you will find the cover is not available to you on the insurance market in general. So what do you do – The key to reducing flood damage is to take precautions, which in many cases you can accomplish in a few hours to a few days.
- Check outside Drains Check to ensure that outside drains and gullies are clear and free running as leaves and debris can block them, causing water to collect.
- Fix leaks immediately Leaky roofs allow water to get into your property, which can weaken the structure and cause damage. When you see wet spots on the ceiling or cracks fix them as soon as it’s safe to get up on the roof or the material is dry enough to repair. Check that roofing materials are secure.
- Invest in a Sump Pump Sump pumps let you pump water out of your property and can be an excellent defence against flooding
- Basements Seal walls in basements with waterproofing to avoid seepage. Store items above floor level to prevent damage by water and remove important possessions from the basement. Construct interior barriers to stop low level floodwater from entering basements
- Prevent sewer backup Install sewer or septic tank check valves, which allow waste to flow only one way and prevent sewage backup at your property.
Remember: Flooding can strike anywhere and at any time so ensure you stay above water! By keeping your property in good repair and creating good drainage around it, you can stop or reduce potential flood damage.
If you have specific questions about your residential or commercial or mixed use investment property insurance cover, talk to the property insurance EXPERTS at SA Faughnan (Brokers) Ltd., who have over 35 years’ experience in general insurance…
Read more related Property Owner Tips & Advices on SA Faughnan Brokers’ website safaughnan.ie or contact us on 824 5555 or by email at email@example.com