Landlord Query of The Week: Daughter Shares Rental – Does This Have To Be Registered With The RTB?


My Daughter is a student and is staying in a property I own in Dublin, there are no other occupants at present in this property. If she takes fellow students into the property will they have to be registered with the Residential Tenancies Board?



If you or your daughter have a written agreement in place with the students intended to occupy the premises then yes, this must be registered with the RTB and subject to the Residential Tenancies Act.

However, if you do not have a written agreement in place, it is our understanding that you do not need to register with the RTB as the Residential Tenancies Act does not apply in this case.

The Residential Tenancies Act 3(h) states that this Act does not apply to a dwelling within which the spouse, parent or child of the landlord resides and no lease or tenancy agreement in writing has been entered into by any person resident in the dwelling.


Contact Us For Further Information


IPOA Membership

Categories: Landlord Query of the Week and Uncategorized.