The Residential Tenancies (Amendment) (No 2) Bill 2018 was passed in the Seanad on Tuesday night.
The new definition for substantial refurbishment will make it difficult if not impossible to change the rent after a substantial refurbishment.
There is also no stop on the penalties that will be introduced for late registration when annual registration is introduced.
The Bill is expected to be signed by the President by the end of this week.
Not all of the legislation will be commenced immediately but the expectation is the following will be commenced early June:-
- Increased timelines for termination
- Changes to the conditions for offering back tenancies
- Changes to the RPZ criteria which are expected to bring most of the country into Rent Pressure Zones
- RPZ’s to be extended in Dublin and Cork until 2021
- RTB to have investigation powers and the power to sanction.
Annual registration is not expected to be commenced until early next year.
This legislation also includes restriction on short-term letting which is expected to be commenced on the 1st July 2019.
Contact the IPOA Team on 01-8276000 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.