Leaving a property vacant over the winter period can often cause stress or anxiety. We can help by sharing these five essential steps for safeguarding your property:
- Gully’s & Gutters – Check them for damage, leaks, fallen leaves and that they are clear of all blockages and/or vegetation that could affect its strength. Clean the gutters and check these are directed away from the house to ensure rain and snow can drain away freely. If there are any gutters currently hanging or dislodged, get them re-attached asap.
- Pipes – Ensure all mains services are disconnected and all water pipes are drained down to avoid any burst pipes as a result of freezing. If you are continuing to heat the property on a daily basis, it is ok to leave the required main service running to do so…but make sure to check your insurance policy un-occupancy clause / conditions to avoid any conflict and contact your Broker if in doubt or if you cannot comply.
- Roofs – Ensure that all flat roofs are inspected annually prior to winter months and that all defects are repaired by a qualified builder or roofing contractor. Remember, no insurance policy will cover losses as a result of wear and tear to roofs
- Foliage – Ensure any overhanging trees or foliage are cut back to prevent possible damage to the property by storm.
- Flood – If you are in an area prone to flooding, ensure any items of contents on the basement or ground floor are moved to the upper levels of the property. Ensure Sandbags and Flood Barriers are positioned to the entrances of the building and that neighbouring’s properties carry the same procedure.
Remember:… It will be a condition of your Insurance policy that all vacant properties are inspected at least once a week by the owner or an appointed agent. Each vacant property policy will also contain Un-occupancy Conditions or a Un-occupancy Clause. If you have not notified your insurer that your property is vacant, do so now to avoid a disaster scenario!
If you have specific questions about your rental property or vacant property insurance cover, talk to the property insurance experts at SA Faughnan (Brokers) Ltd., who have over 35 years’ experience in general insurance…