Student Specific Accommodation

It is important that landlords are aware of recent changes to legislation in relation to Student-Specific Accommodation (SSA). This includes purpose built student accommodation and accommodation that is let for the sole purpose of providing accommodation to students during the academic year.

The legislation clarifies that Student-Specific Accommodation provided by the private sector is within the jurisdiction of the RTB, regardless of whether there is a lease or license agreement in place.

What Do These Changes Mean for Landlords?

  • If you provide accommodation to students under a license agreement after 15th August 2019 you must register with the RTB.
  • Student specific licences entered into on or after the 15th August 2019 must comply with the Rent Pressure Zone rules when setting occupation cost.
  • All tenancies must be registered with the RTB, a new category of tenancy student specific has been included in the Residential Tenancies Act.
  • All student accommodation whether under lease or licence must comply with rent review regulations, if located in Rent Pressure Zones.
  • A person registered as a student in student specific accommodation with the RTB is not entitled to Part 4 /6 rights.
  • New RTB sanctioning regime for improper conduct by landlords will apply to student-specific accommodation.

All student tenancies / licences entered into on or after 15th August 2019 must be registered with the RTB.

For the 2019/2020 academic year, there is a 3-month transitional period to register student tenancy / licence which commenced on or after 15th August 2019. This means that you have up to and including the 15th November 2019 to complete your registration. The cost per student licence is €40 with a composite fee of €170.  There is a penalty fee of €10 per month until the registration is complete.

The online portal for the registration of Student tenancies/licences will not be available for the academic year 2019/2020. The RTB have a spreadsheet that they will furnish if you email and request same. Alternatively you can complete the RTB3 form and return it to the RTB by post.

Further information is available from



IPOA Membership

Categories: Landlord Legislation, News, Property Management, RTB and Dispute Resolution, and Uncategorized.