17th November 2022
Following many engagements with the RTB to rectify ongoing issues on the RTB System – IPOA are pleased to welcome a temporary pause on charging late registration fees.
The RTB will be applying a temporary pause on the charging of late registration fees due to difficulties faced when registering tenancies.
This applies for the following tenancies:
- new tenancy registrations with a tenancy commencement date on or after the 12 November 2022, and
- for annual registrations of existing tenancies which became due on or after 12 November 2022.
Please take note of the below scenarios which may apply to your tenancy registrations:
- Upcoming registrations: Any landlords/agents who are registering a new tenancy registration with a tenancy commencement date on or after 12 November 2022 or are completing an annual registration of an existing tenancy which becomes due on or after 12 November 2022 will not be charged late fees.
- Late registrations: Landlords/agents who have yet to register a tenancy which was due for registration as a new tenancy registration with a tenancy commencement date on or after the 4 April 2022 or have yet to complete an annual registration of an existing tenancy which became due on or after 4 April 2022 up to 12 November 2022 will still be charged late fees. However, all late fees will be refunded in due course.
- Tenancies already registered: Any landlords/agents who have already registered a new tenancy registration with a tenancy commencement date on or after the 4 April 2022 or completed an annual registration of an existing tenancy which became due on or after 3 August 2022 where late fees were paid will be refunded.
*Please note that this will not apply to any late fees which have accumulated prior to the introduction of annual registration on 4 April 2022. This also does not apply to providers of Student Specific Accommodation (SSA).
A landlord is still obliged to register a tenancy – or a licence in SSA with the RTB within 1 month of its commencement date and every year after this, on the anniversary of the date the tenancy began, for so long as the tenancy/SSA licence exists.
RTB will notify landlords and agents as to when the charging of late fees will recommence.